Journal of David Moore Page 4


I have thus far given the names and birth of my relatives. I shall now proceed with my own journal. Mostly passing over my youthful days which was spent sometimes on the farm and sometimes in school, and will begin with the Patriot war or Rebellion in Lower Canada, which was got up in 1837, by Joseph Papineau and others of his associated friends under the cry and pretence of Oppression from the British Government. But as I with many others well understood that it was only got up for power, felt to take up arms in defence of the Government. Accordingly, a volunteer company was made up in the township of Eardley. My uncle David Moore was appointed Captain, Joseph Lust, Leuit., Thos. Josey, Ensing, and myself Sargent. We were regularly drilled two days in each week during most of the winter of 1837 and '38. We were continued under this organization until the war closed, but were never actually called into service. In the time of this war Susan Mariah Vorce came to my fathers to live, and on the 19th of August 1839 I married her. She was born Feb. 5, 1810, in Winsor Co. State of Vermont.

In the latter part of the year 1841, two Mormon Elders came into the neighborhood and began to preach. I went to hear them, felt fully satisfied that they had truly a new doctrine, yet very plain and reasonable. I therefore

Table of Contents          Previous Page          Next Page