Louisa Harriett Mills


Louisa Harriett Mills
            On February 9, 1865, I was married to Thomas Palmer in the Endowment House in Salt Lake City, Utah by Brother George Q. Cannon, who asked President Brigham Young to permit him to do it since it was the latter’s month to marry all in the Endowment House as they took it for a month at a time.

            I was the daughter of Charles Edmund and Frances Farr Mills, and Grand daughter of Thomas Henry and Frances Bone Farr. Thomas Farr was a farmer by occupation. I was born December 10, 1850 at Winchester, Hampshire, England. I was the eleventh child in a family of thirteen children, three of which are still living. They are Charles Mills of Coalville, Summit County and Sarah E. Gunn of Randolph, Rich County, Utah.

            My father, Charles Mills, at the time of my birth was a private in the Eightieth Regiment of Foot, in the service of the Queen, and was under command of Lord Wellington. He also served under Lord Wellington in the famous battle of Waterloo. My mother, Frances Farr, was a servant girl before her marriage to Charles Mills, April 17,1832 at Prescott, County of Lancashire, England by the Vicar of the Parish Church, C. L. Driffield. After making Winchester the family home for three years, they moved to the famous sea port town, Southampton. I made this my home until May 1, 1862.

William Wilde
Charles R. Savage
While at Winchester the family first heard the Gospel. It was carried to them by Brother Charles R. Savage, who later became a member of the old folks committee, and William Wilde, who later became Bishop of the Coalville, Utah Ward. Until this time my mother had belonged to the Baptist and Methodist Churches, but did not seem satisfied with either. The Gospel came to them in a very peculiar way. I was a baby of eleven months and became very ill and was given up by the doctor. The Minister passed judgment upon me and said that I would be dead by morning.

Frances Farr Mills
My mother was watching over her dying baby, waiting for the Doctor and the Minister to return, when someone knocked upon the door. Upon answering the door she found two home missionaries who were strangers to her. The visitors were quite boisterous Mrs. Mills thought, and she became very much afraid. She asked them to please be quiet because she had a dying baby in the house. On hearing this, Brother Savage asked to see the baby. He said, “in the name of the Lord the child shall not die.” My Mother thought him beside himself. He also said that with her permission he would administer to the child in the name of the True and Living God. She gave her consent but with instructions to be quick before her minister should return.

In the blessing he gave he said, “That I should not die but should live and be a Savior unto my people and that they should be gathered to the land of Zion". Brother Savage also said that I should be dressed that day and that my mother should hear the gospel and receive it at their hands. These promises have been fulfilled.

Erastus Snow
John Taylor
 While at Southampton I attended a public school for a short time but was forced to leave on account of my poor health. A little later I received my first lessons in crocheting, knitting and other subjects taught at this school. While still a small child I remember President John Taylor and Erastus Snow who were missionaries in my home town. It was about this time that a liking for music took hold of me and that liking still clings to me.

            About I857 my family moved to St. James Street, in Southampton, in order to be nearer the Church. The Church worked hard in the face of opposition under President Henry Puesy. After a lapse of a few years I was baptized, having to go a long distance at night to the ocean. I was baptized and confirmed by President Puesy.

At this time the Saints were requested to fast and pray for three days for the Saints In Zion because of Johnson's army. My mother fasted all three days and I fasted one day. This was my first fast. At this time my mother was called to do missionary work. I helped by taking the numbers of the houses while she distributed the tracts. I heard the abuse and insults which she received. It was while at this work I received by first lessons in the Gospel, which have been very beneficial all through my life. I also saw the mobbing of the Saints and breaking of the windows by the non-members of the Church.

In the year 1860 President George Q. Cannon, who was President of the European Mission, counseled the Saints to come to Zion. If they did not have the means to come all at once, send as many of the children as they could afford and the next year send more until all were in Zion. Upon this advice my brother Charles and my sister Mary were sent in 1861. I was the next to come the next year and my sister Sarah the year after I came.

Realizing the great change that would soon take place in my life and knowing that it would be the last time I would see Prince Albert, later known as King Edward, I ran away to see the races, on the Good Friday previous to my departure. Upon my return I was punished after the English fashion.


George Q. Cannon
The custom at that time was to give the departing Saints a farewell party. At the one given the Saints who were to leave the following May, I received my first testimony as to the Divinity of the Gospel. Twenty eight years previous to this my mother broke a bottle in her hand and a piece of the glass ran in her thumb and worked to the center of her hand. For nine weeks she suffered excruciating pain. The Doctors could not locate the glass without cutting her hand. She was unable to dress herself, but with the aid of some of the sisters she made ready to attend the party. There she was administered to by the Elders. President George Q. Cannon sealed the anointing, and he asked the Lord to give the pain to the one most able to bear it. When he was through he held up his hand and said, "Here is the pain Mother Mills has been suffering," He had the pain for several weeks while she ceased to suffer and went to sleep for the first time for a long time.

Nothing of importance took place until May 1, 1862, when I left home for America, coming to this country without a single relation in the company of the Saints. After traveling for three days we arrived in Liverpool and set sail from this port after laying in anchor twenty four hours. After nine weeks of sailing we arrived at Castle Garden, New York. We had a pleasant voyage there being no deaths but one birth. A baby boy was born on the Manchester, which was the name of the ship. He was named for the Captain, M. Tracy.

The Manchester
Among the Saints were two English sailors of note, one was the late Frances Baily and the other was his friend. While in the iceberg district, seeing the anxiety on the face of the captain they asked to be allowed to pilot the ship throughout the danger. They were permitted and after the danger was passed, they received the congratulations of all present.

After staying in New York for nine days we traveled overland as far as Albany and from there to St. Joes. This was the region of activity of the Civil War at this time. From St. Joes we traveled up the Mississippi River as far as Florence, now known as Omaha. This was the camping place for the Saints. Nine weeks were spent in Florence making preparations for the trying journey to Zion. All who were able to sew helped in making tents, wagon covers and other necessary things for the next few months.

One terrible accident happened while at Florence. The weather is very changeable there and the most perfect day may be changed to a very disagreeable one in a few minutes. This day was lovely, but one clap of thunder and a flash of lightening changed it completely. I was suffering my first attack of home sickness and was in my tent while in front was standing Brother George Q. Cannon who was giving orders to the over seerer for making up the train, and W.R. Young. The thunder and lightening came and the clerk was instantly killed. Brother Young was scalped as though an Indian had done it while George Q. Cannon was unhurt.

Now for the great trials and hardships of crossing the plains: Dan Miller was the captain and a very able captain. He made his home in Farmington, Davis County, Utah. Traveling was slow, each wagon being furnished with from four to six oxen. There being about one hundred wagons, each containing from six to twelve persons. This train carried ammunition for the people in Salt Lake.

While crossing the plains everything was done in a systematic way. At six o'clock all were up and at eight they were on their way. At noon camp was made for lunch and at night camp was made for the night by water if possible. A corral was made of the wagons. The cattle were herded if there were no Indians in the vicinity. After supper there was always a dance, the music was furnished by the teamsters on the fiddle. A good time was enjoyed by all. After the dance there was a meeting. This was opened by song and prayer, the subject spoken upon was the travel for the next day. The roll was called twice each day. At nine thirty o'clock all were supposed to be in bed.

The work of the women consisted of doing their cooking, washing and tending the children. The sisters were told to have large pinafores made in order to carry and gather buffalo chips which were used to make the fires and took the place of wood. I walked almost all of the way fording the streams that were forded by anyone. Often brother and sister Morris and their niece and I traveled a long way in advance of the train. We often located the place of the camp for the night.

While crossing the plains the Saints saw and tasted the first watermelons they had seen grown in America. They were grown on a ranch owned by an Apostate who gave them all that they wanted. There were several deaths and a great many births while crossing the plains.

The immigrants were not molested by the Indians which were numerous. The buffaloes could be heard for a great many miles away and would come in great herds. Some of them were killed for use by the Saints. President George Q. Cannon was very much concerned about me for I was a very little girl and he made inquiries about me every day.

Louisa Harriett Mills
The Saints arrived in Salt Lake October 9, 1862. My brother Charles was there to meet me and after staying for a few days he took me to my sister Mary Hibbard, in Morgan County. It was while staying there that I met my future husband but I did not know it at that time.

In May 1863 I went to Salt Lake to work. I found employment in the home of Brother William Ostler in the Tenth Ward. The pay which I received for six months work was a pair of shoes which he made himself. He was the shoe maker for the Brigham Young Family. From this place I went to work for Brother Samuel Atwood in the Thirteenth Ward. I worked for them until the next summer the recompense for my work was fifty cents which was paid in dried peaches which I helped to dry. I liked my work at both places very much.

            I was baptized the second time in the Tenth Ward in 1863, in the creek located in Emigration Canyon. The Bishop of the 13th Ward was Edward Wooley, father of our former Bishop E.T. Woolly of the Fourth Ward of Ogden, and the Supt. of Sunday School was George Goddard, Father of H.H. Goddard of the Bishopric of the Fourth Ward.

I left Salt Lake in the fall of 1864, but before leaving I had a blessing given by a Priestess. Grandmother Attwood was ordained a priestess by the Prophet Joseph Smith.

Thomas Palmer
My father died in Southampton, England and buried April 19, 1863. He dropped dead in a park on returning from taking a little niece home from a party. My mother and sister Sarah came to America the same year and made their home in Morgan County, Utah.

Upon our arrival in Morgan County in 1864, my mother went as housekeeper for Brother Thomas Palmer, who had four motherless children, three of them were boys and the fourth was a girl. The boys are living in Morgan, Utah and Preston, Idaho. The girl died at the age of fourteen years. On Feb. 18, 1864 my mother Francis Farr Mills married Mr. Palmer in Salt Lake City, Utah.


After my marriage, my mother, step-sons and myself helped to clear the farm by dragging the brush away and burning it after my husband dug it up. I also carded and spun the wool used in making the clothing for the family.

During the pioneer days before the railroad came we had seven years of grasshoppers and then came the crickets. These insects devoured the entire crop. My husband had some wheat left from previous years and what was made into flour was either taken to Salt Lake by ox team or ground in a coffee mill. For a great many weeks the older members of the family went without bread in order to give it to the younger members of the family. Their food consisted of pig weeds, wild carrots, service berries, choke cherries and haws. The berries were dried for use in the winter and took the place of currants and raisins. We always had plenty of meat as my husband was a stock owner at that time.

President John Taylor gave Brother Palmer the name of The Son of the Benevolent while he was Ward Teacher in the Thirteenth Ward of Salt Lake. He forever showed this characteristic. He fed Washakee and his nine hundred Indian braves for several days at one time when he came to ask advice of Brigham Young. My husband was First Counselor to Bishop John H. Hail of the Peterson Ward for twenty five years. He held this position until his death in 1900.

I was President of the Y.L.M.I.A. for seventeen years and for eleven years was treasurer for the Relief Society. I was also Second Assistant for the Sunday School for a number of years. All of these positions were held in the Peterson Ward. It was during my work in the Relief Society I became acquainted with Eliza R. Snow, Zina D. Young and many other of the Church Board.

I was the mother of fourteen children, ten boys and four girls. Ten of the children are still living, of these seven are boys and three are girls. Eight of them are married. I was step-mother to four children and foster mother to eleven other children all of them are living and greet me with the name of Mother. I have fourteen grandchildren. My stepsons have twenty one children. I have one great-grandchild.

My life has been that of a polygamist wife with happiness all around. In November 1900 my husband died at Peterson, Morgan County at the age of 80 years. His death was due to pneumonia. In 1902 I moved to Ogden and for l3 years I have been a member of the Fourth Ward of Ogden Stake, Ogden, Utah. I came to Ogden because the small farm was not large enough to meet the needs of all of the boys.

Ogden was a very different place and my new home was also a new experience for all of us. The boys found employment in different places and I began my career as a nurse working with a number of doctors. It was necessary to work long hours and at night as well as day, but I was able to keep my family together and we had a very comfortable and peaceful home. I became very active in the Church, living in the Fourth Ward of the Ogden Stake. I had learned to enjoy good music even before I left the Old Country and at the time I moved to the Fourth Ward they had a wonderful Choir directed by Brother Orson Griffin. I joined this choir and remained with it until I was unable to attend because of poor health at the age of eighty. I was a Relief Society block teacher until I was eighty years old and enjoyed my visits with the sisters of the ward. After I retired from actual work I helped with the sick and needy of the Church and spent long hours sitting with and administering to their needs. I feel that the Lord was good to me and gave me an understanding of how to better care for the sick and the needy. I was also blessed with the strength that was necessary to have in order to do the things which I was able to do.

I have a testimony that has helped me always and given me a great deal of satisfaction through my life. I have also had some wonderful experiences since coming to Ogden and have made hundreds of friends. In May 1930 I moved with my daughter Nellie Palmer Clark, with whom I have always made my home, to Clearfield, Davis County.

On November 15, 1930, Louisa Harriett Mills Palmer passed away at the age of eighty. Her health had been poor for several months and on November 11, she suffered a stroke from which she never regained consciousness. Her funeral services were held in the Ogden Sixth Ward because of the tact that the Ogden 4th Ward was under construction and it was impossible to use the new building. Bishop Edward T. Saunders, Bishop of the 4th Ward conducted the services which were very lovely.

She left a family of nine sons and daughters, numerous grand and great-grand children as well as hosts of friends to mourn her passing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope that this blog will be a resource for family and distant relatives seeking to learn more about our pioneer roots. Any additional information or pictures would be very welcome. Feel free to contact me at spanomegos@hotmail.com.